Validating Presence of Species
A training set for the Random Forest Model (RFM) consists of two components: 1) a training set pattern (also called a template) and 2) at least 50 presence and 50 absence validations. This article covers how to validate species in your recordings.
Tip: Random Forest Models run optimally on both Firefox and Chrome.
1. Click on the Visualizer tab to validate your species.
2. Select the Site that you need.
3. Select the Date.
4. Scroll through your recordings and select one of them.
5. Click on the Species Presence Validation section of the Visualizer tab, then click on the species category (e.g. Amphibians, Birds, Mammals, etc.).
6. Click Play on the Spectrogram to listen and determine if the species is present or absent. Click on Annotation to indicate presence or absence of a species call. Repeat these steps for a recordings’ subset. Subsets comprising of at least 50 recordings with the species call, and 50 without the species call are recommended to train Random Forest Models.
7. After selecting the annotation, reload the page and you'll be able to find the species