Troubleshooting: Local SIM cards
Follow the steps when:
- Unable to get a cell signal or test data transfer of the Guardian device from the Companion app
- Can connect to the Guardian device from the Companion
Step 1. Restart the device
Step 2. Connect to the device from the Companion app
Step 3. Diagnose problem
- Take the SIM card out and try it in a regular phone to check that it is working (if it is a new card then you might need to follow the providers instructions to register it for use)
- Try reinserting the SIM card and wait 3 minutes to see if it is detected
If you the "Cell signal strength" is poor then:
- Make sure the cell antenna is connected to the correct port on the outside of the device Box
- Ensure you are in an area with sufficient cell/gsm service
Next, take a look at the "Cell data transfer" section.
If you the SIM card is detected and you have at least 2 bars of signal strength but you see "No internet connection" then there is a problem with the data connection of the SIM card (or provider). Continue to Step 4 to configure the APN settings.
Otherwise press on the "Retest" button under Cell data transfer to check the speed of the network in Kbps. The Guardian device requires an upload data transfer speed of at least 50 Kbps. If your device is able to perform the data transfer test then it is working normally.
Step 4. Connect to the device from PC/Mac (via Vysor)
Step 5. Check internet connection
From the Android Home Screen in Vysor, find and open "Browser".
[Placeholder: screenshot of browser icon]
Type a web address (e.g. rfcx.org) and press "Go".
Step 6. Manually configure APN
From the Android home screen in Vysor, find and open "Settings".
Select "Mobile Networks".
Select "Access Point Names".
On the APNs screen, select "New APN" from the 3 dot menu in the top right corner.
Fill in each field by pressing on each row one by one. For any fields that you don't have the information from your APN provider, leave them as "Not set".
After filling in all the known fields, press "Save" (inside 3 dot menu top right).
After 1 minute, open the web browser again and test the internet connection. If it connects then the issue is resolved and you can disconnect the Micro USB, restart the device and connect via the Companion app to perform the Network Signal Test.